Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Sickboy's Literary Lollapalooza, January 2011

It’s time for January of 2011’s Literary Lollapalooza. It was a light month as far as acquiring books, but that’s okay. My stack of waiting books is getting a little large. Here we go…


BOOKS ACQUIRED JANUARY 2011

Twelve Angry Men, Reginald Rose

Lost in Yonkers, Neil Simon


BOOKS READ JANUARY 2011

Heidegger and a Hippo Walk Through Those Pearly Gates, Thomas Cathcart and David Klein: The second book by these two Harvard Philosophy majors, Heidegger… serves the same purpose as Plato and a Platypus Walk Into a Bar: an introduction to philosophy through joke-telling. As the title of this book would suggest, Heidegger… focuses on the philosophies of what happens when we die. Like with Plato… some of the jokes made me LOL, others elicited no reaction from me at all. Another quick, easy read, perfect for a plane or train ride. It’s not going to change your life, but it wasn’t a waste of time, either.

Earth, A Visitor’s Guide to the Human Race, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart: Following in the footsteps of America: A Citizen’s Guide to Democracy Inaction, Earth is a guide to all things Earth-y. I didn’t enjoy it quite as much as I did America, but it had it’s moments of funny. I read it early in the month, and as almost two months have passed since, I don’t really remember what I’d like to say about it. If you’re a fan of the show, you’ll enjoy the book. That’s really about all there is to say. Wow, that review sucked.

Twelve Angry Men, Reginald Rose: Wow. I read a script. It’s been ages. I had never read this particular show, and read it in preparation for auditioning for a theatre that’s presenting it in a few months. It’s an excellent study on how members of a jury work with and against each other to reach a decision about the innocence or guilt of a nineteen year old man accused of killing his father. Loved it.

Lost In Yonkers, Neil Simon: Wait. Two scripts in one month? Something must be wrong. Yes, I had an audition for this show a week ago, and needed to be prepared. Here’s the thing. I don’t really like Neil Simon. Never been a huge fan of anything I’ve read or seen by him. This show seems cute, but I don’t like cute. I like real. The characters in this play come across to me as caricatures, not as real people. Anyway, that’s all there is to say about that. I really need to start writing these as I finish reading the books…

Middlesex*, Jeffrey Euginides: Read this book. Now. Drop whatever other book you’re reading, head immediately to the store, and pick this up. Steal it if you have to. It’s that good. I don’t really mean you should steal it. That’s morally and legally wrong. But READ IT. Middlesex is the tale of three generations of a Greek family, from the husband and wife that first come to America (they’re also brother and sister), to their grandchild, Calliope Stephanides, a hermaphrodite. Calliope (later Cal), relates the story of her grandparents’ immigration, tracing the recessive gene that causes the condition s/he is forced to come to terms with. Chock full of incest, race riots, and stunning human relationships, Middlesex is the front-runner for best book I’ll read this year. I realize it’s still early, but it’s going to be hard to top. It has earned a spot in my top ten books ever, no easy task. Go. Read it. And let me know what you think.

Stay tuned in a couple weeks for February’s Literary Lollapalooza. If, that is, I finish either of the books I’m reading. I’ve been busy. Sue me. And I apologize for the inferior reviews this month. I need to stop waiting so long. Again, sue me.

No comments:

Post a Comment